- The health benefits of Palma Rosa Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties as an antiseptic, antiviral, bactericidal, cytophylactic, digestive, febrifuge and hydrating substance.
- Palma Rosa is a grass whose botanical name is Cymbopogon Martini. It has two varieties, also called chemotypes, Motia & Sofia, which differ slightly in their aroma. Different producers give preference to different chemotypes depending on the demand of the market.
- Extraction of this essential oil is done by steam distillation of dried grass which is harvested before flowering. The chief constituents of this oil are geraniol, geranyl acetate, dipentene, linalool, limonene and myrcene. This oil smells like rose oil, which is how it got the name Palma Rosa. This is also why it is sometimes used in place of rose oil and is often adulterated with rose oil, since it is cheaper.
- This oil is widely used as a flavoring agent in the food and beverage industry, as well as in soap, perfume, oil and cosmetics industries. It also has many medicinal uses, which we will explore in greater detail below.
- Blending: The essential oils of geranium, bergamot, rosemary, lime and ylang-ylang blend very well with the essential oil of Palm Rosa.
Febrifuge: The essential oil of Palma Rosa is capable of reducing fever by virtue of it antiviral, antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Therefore, whether the fever is due to either viral or bacterial infection, this oil can help you cool it down and soothe your system.
Antiviral: Dealing with viruses is not an easy task, and it is very different than killing bacteria. Viruses develop a protective coating on them, called a cyst, which protects them from the extreme conditions of their surroundings, and is so tough that it can withstand almost anything. Viruses remain dormant within their cyst until it finds a host, which is when the cyst opens up and the virus comes out of its dormancy and starts multiplying. It is at this stage that the Essential Oil of Palma Rosa curbs and inhibits the duplication of the virus and successfully eliminates it.
Septic also occurs in vulnerable internal organs such as the urinary tracts, urinary bladder, urethra, colon, and kidneys. It does not only trigger sudden, acute and nearly unbearable pain, but also results in cramps and convulsions. Therefore, it is always advisable to take care of wounds and any type of infection, specifically in the genito-urinary organs. This can be accomplished with the help of this oil. When applied externally on wounds, it protects them from infections and also kills the bacteria that have already grown on them. When taken internally, Palma Rosa oil inhibits the bacterial growth in the genito-urinary tracts and provides effective protection against septic.
Bactericide: The essential oil of Palma Rosa is bactericidal in nature and inhibits bacterial growth by killing them. It is also good at curing internal bacterial infections like colitis and those of the colon, stomach, urinary bladder, prostate, urethra, urinary tracts, and kidneys. It also prevents external bacterial infections on the skin, armpits, head, eyebrows, eyelids, and ears.
Cytophylactic: Palma Rosa oil is cytophylactic in nature, which means that it promotes the growth of cells and the recycling of cellular matter. Thus, it helps repair the damages done to the body by aging, like natural wear and tear, as well as from wounds and various other factors. It also aids in the overall growth of the body. Since it also promotes growth of the defensive cells of the body, it is considered a good way to strengthen the immune system.
Digestive: Aiding digestion is yet another beneficial property of this oil. The secretion of digestive juices into the stomach is stimulated by this oil, thereby promoting digestion. It also aids in the absorption of the nutrients from food, making your digestive process more efficient.
Antiseptic: Many people are very familiar with the word “Septic”, but they do not seem to understand its gravity, as most of us have not experienced it. It is a very painful situation caused due to an infection in wounds. Wounds are highly prone to infections, since they are open and unprotected.
Hydrating: This is one of the soothing properties of Palma Rosa essential oil. It helps your body retain the moisture in the tissues and maintains the moisture balance throughout your body. Therefore, this can relieve inflammation and certain other symptoms of dehydration, and is particularly good for the skin. It keeps the skin soft, moist, and looking young.
Other Benefits: When used in aromatherapy treatments, Palma Rosa oil relaxes the muscles and nerves, fights depression, fatigue, anxiety, anger and nervousness, while also having an uplifting effect on the mind. Furthermore, it helps cure sores, cracks on the skin and Athlete’s Foot.
- This oil is considered completely safe, since it is a non-irritant, non-sensitizing and non-toxic substance.