Anas Barbariae is a commonly recommended homeopathic treatment for the prevention of flu symptoms
- Flu (influenza) and H1N1 (swine) flu. There is no reliable evidence that taking Anas Barbariae can prevent the flu. However, in people with flu symptoms, there is some evidence that Anas Barbariae might help people get over the flu faster, but only by 6 or 7 hours. This may not be of much importance. The reliability of this finding is also questionable due to flaws in the study design. More evidence is needed to rate Anas Barbariae for this use.
- Anas Barbariae is a homeopathic product. Homeopathy is a system of medicine established in the 19th century by a German physician named Samuel Hahnemann.
- Its basic principles are that “like treats like” and “potentiation through dilution.” For example, in homeopathy, influenza would be treated with an extreme dilution of a substance that normally causes influenza when taken in high doses.
- A French physician discovered oscillococcinum while investigating the Spanish flu in 1917. But he was mistaken that his “oscillococci” were the cause of the flu.
- Anas Barbariae seems to be safe. This is a homeopathic preparation. This means that it does not contain any active ingredient. Most experts believe that it will have no beneficial effect and also no negative side effects.
None are recorded.
Anas moschata, Avian Heart and Liver, Avian Liver Extract, Cairina moschata, Canard de Barbarie, Duck Liver Extract, Extrait de Foie de Canard, Muscovy Duck, Oscillo, Oscillococcinum (brand name)