- Cissus quadrangularis is a succulent vine from Africa and Asia. It is one of the most commonly used medicinal plants in Thailand, and is also used in traditional African and Ayurvedic medicine. All parts of the plant are used for medicine.
- A cluster of heart disease risk factors called “metabolic syndrome”
- High cholesterol
- Bone fractures
- Weak bones (osteoporosis)
- Upset stomach
- Peptic ulcer disease (PUD)
- Painful menstrual periods
- Cissus quadrangularis is also used in bodybuilding supplements as an alternative to anabolic steroids.
- There is not enough information to know how Cissus quadrangularis might work for medicinal purposes in people. Test tube studies and research in animals show that it has antioxidant, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties. It might have activity against the organism that causes malaria.
- Some specific commercial products containing Cissus quadrangularis are POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth appropriately short-term (for up to 6-8 weeks). These products can cause side effects such as headache, intestinal gas, dry mouth, diarrhea, and insomnia. But there is not enough information to know how often these side effects might occur.
- Since there is not much information about the use of Cissus quadrangularis in people, long-term safety is not known.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking Cissus quadrangularis if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- Diabetes: Cissus quadrangularis might lower blood sugar. Taking Cissus quadrangularis along with medications for diabetes might lower blood sugar too much. Watch for signs of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and monitor your blood sugar levels closely if you have diabetes and use Cissus quadrangularis.
- Surgery: Cissus quadrangularis might lower blood sugar and could interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgical procedures. Stop using Cissus quadrangularis at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Asthisonhara, Chadhuri, Chaudhari, Cissus, Cissus Extract, Cissus Formula, Cissus Formulation, C. Quadrangularis, Cissus Quadrangularis, Cissus Quadrangularis Extract, CORE, CQ, CQE, CQR-300, Extrait de Cissus, Hadjod, Hadjora, Harbhanga, Harsankari, Hasjora, Kandavela, Mangaroli, Nalleru, Namunungwa, Phet Cha Sung Khaat, Phet Sang Kat, Phet Sangkhat, Pirandai, Quadrangularis, Samroi To, San Cha Khuat, Stemmed Vine, Vajravalli, Vedhari, Veld Grape, Veldt-grape, Vitis quadrangularis, Winged Treebine.
Source: WebMD, “Cissus Quadrangularis”, web article, www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/