The seed kernel produces argan oil; the seed is roasted before the oil is expressed in order to eliminate saponins. While the nut is very bitter, the purified oil is as sweet as walnut oil.
- Scientific Name(s): Argania spinosa (L.) Skeels. Family: Sapotaceae syn. Argania sideroxylon Roem. & Schult.
- Common Name(s): Argan , Morroccan ironwood , arganier (French); argane , ardjane (Berber) 1
- The oil is used internally and externally and has been used for skin and cardiovascular diseases and hypertension
- It is, also, used for its anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and cholesterol-lowering effects.
- It has been used in food and as a flavoring.
- The oil is also used for making hard yellowish soap.