Bifidobacterium longum is a specific species of microscopic non-pathogenic bacteria found naturally in the gastrointestinal tracts of humans as well as in most other animals. It is added to a variety of foods or dietary supplements as a probiotic due to its many health benefits. It produces lactic acid from the fermentation of sugar in the gastrointestinal tract.
- The human digestive tract is home to a large and dynamic microbial habitat which consists of over 500 different species of bacteria. These “healthy” or “good” bacteria serve a variety of purposes from digesting foods to preventing disease. Bifidobacterium longum is one of the most abundant species of bacteria in the digestive tract and also one of the most popular probiotics.
- Bifidobacterium longum provides many health benefits as a naturally-occurring bacterium and as a probiotic. The lactic acid produced by the bacteria increases the acidity of the digestive tract, which helps inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Bifidobacterium longum also has been shown to treat constipation, reduce inflammation associated with inflammatory bowel conditions, prevent high cholesterol levels and reduce the development of certain allergies, according to probiotic.org.
- According to a study in the April 1997 issue of “Carcinogenesis,” Bifidobacterium longum showed anticarcinogenic and antimutagenic properties and may help inhibit the development of colon cancer.
- Probiotic supplements are also beneficial in repopulating Bifidobacterium longum colonies in the digestive tract that have been destroyed by antibiotic use.
B. Bifidum, B. Breve, B. Infantis, B. lactis, B. Longum, Bifido, Bifido Bacterium Longum, Bifidobacterias, Bifidobactérie, Bifidobactéries, Bifidobacterium, Bifidobacterium adolescentis; Bifidobacterium animalis, Bifidobacterium bifidum; Bifidobacterium breve; Bifidobacterium infantis; Bifidobacterium lactis; Bifidobacterium, Bifidum, Bifidus, Bifidus Brevis, Bifidus Infantis, Bifidus Longum, Bifidobacteria Bifidus, Lactobacillus Bifidus, L. Bifidus, Probiotic, Probiotique.
- Source: Dority, Jason; “What Is Bifidobacterium Longum?”, 24 Oct 2013, www.livestrong.com/article/375423-what-is-bifidobacterium-longum/
- Source: WebMD, “Bifidobacteria”, http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/