California poppy is a plant. It is the state flower of California. People use the parts that grow above the ground for medicine.
- California poppy is used for trouble sleeping (insomnia), aches, nervous agitation, bed-wetting in children, and diseases of the bladder and liver. It is also used to promote relaxation.
- In combination with other herbs, California poppy is used for depression, long-term mental and physical tiredness (neurasthenia), nerve pain, various psychiatric conditions, blood vessel problems, sensitivity to weather changes, and sedation. An herb combination including California poppy is also used for sleep and mood disturbance associated with strong, warm wind in the Alps (foehn illness).
- The plant was used for colicky pains and toothache by the native Americans and early settlers and was first introduced to Europe as an ornamental. It began to be used as a medicine in the last century, when it rapidly gained a reputation as a non-addictive alternative to the opium poppy, and a safe remedy to calm excitability, restlessness, anxiety, pain, tension and insomnia in adults and children alike.
- Its antispasmodic action relaxes muscles throughout the body, making it a useful remedy for soothing tense, aching muscles and treating stress-related gut problems, IBS, colic and gallbladder pain. It can also be used for relieving tension headaches and is excellent for treating bedwetting in children, asthma and spasmodic coughs where there is a stress element; in fact it can be added to prescriptions for a wide variety of stress-related conditions. By calming the nervous system California poppy influences the heart and circulation. It slows a rapid heart, relieves palpitations, and reduces blood pressure.
- Improves sleep:
Many people use California Poppy Seed as a natural sleep inducer. They report that it works as soon as you take it and can bring restful, refreshing sleep for people who suffer from insomnia.
- Relieves anxiety or tension:
Due to the sedative effects of this poppy, many use it to treat anxiety or tension. It’s also been used to help treat incontinence in people who have trouble with it during high levels of stress.
- Combats ADHD:
Since it’s natural, with no known side effects, it’s an effective and safe anti-anxiety remedy for children. Those with behavioral problems, such as ADD or ADHD have found the California Poppy Seed to be just as effective as the prescription medication they take for their disorder.
- Boosts cognitive function:
The elderly can also benefit from this natural remedy. It can improve the intellectual capacity for those suffering from memory or concentration issues due to aging.
- Treats wounds:
Due to the antimicrobial properties of the California Poppy Seed extract, the tincture can be applied directly to cuts and scrapes to help decrease the risk of infection and speed up healing.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of California poppy during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- Surgery: California poppy can slow down the central nervous system, causing sleepiness and other effects. There is some concern that California poppy might slow down the central nervous system too much when combined with anesthesia and other medications used during and after surgery. Stop using California poppy at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
- Sedative medications (Benzodiazepines) interacts with CALIFORNIA POPPY
California poppy might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Drugs that cause sleepiness and drowsiness are called sedatives. Taking California poppy along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness.
Some of these sedative medications include clonazepam (Klonopin), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), and others.
- Sedative medications (CNS depressants) interacts with CALIFORNIA POPPY
California poppy might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Medications that cause sleepiness are called sedatives. Taking California poppy along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness.
Some sedative medications include clonazepam (Klonopin), lorazepam (Ativan), phenobarbital (Donnatal), zolpidem (Ambien), and others.
Amapola de California, Eschscholzia californica, Pavot d’Amérique, Pavot d’Or, Pavot de Californie, Poppy California, Yellow Poppy.