- California poppy is a plant. It is the state flower of California. People use the parts that grow above the ground for medicine.
- Nervous agitation
- Bed-wetting in children
- Diseases of the bladder and liver
- It is also used to promote relaxation.
- In combination with other herbs, California poppy is used for depression, long-term mental and physical tiredness (neurasthenia), nerve pain, various psychiatric conditions, blood vessel problems, sensitivity to weather changes, and sedation. An herb combination including California poppy is also used for sleep and mood disturbance associated with strong, warm wind in the Alps (foehn illness).
- California poppy contains chemicals that might cause relaxation and sleepiness.
- California poppy appears to be safe for most people when taken appropriately by mouth for three months or less. There isn’t enough information to know if California poppy is safe for longer term use.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of California poppy during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- Surgery: California poppy can slow down the central nervous system, causing sleepiness and other effects. There is some concern that California poppy might slow down the central nervous system too much when combined with anesthesia and other medications used during and after surgery. Stop using California poppy at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Moderate Interaction Be cautious with this combination
- Sedative medications (Benzodiazepines) interacts with CALIFORNIA POPPY: California poppy might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Drugs that cause sleepiness and drowsiness are called sedatives. Taking California poppy along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness.
- Some of these sedative medications include clonazepam (Klonopin), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), and others.
- Sedative medications (CNS depressants) interacts with CALIFORNIA POPPY: California poppy might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Medications that cause sleepiness are called sedatives. Taking California poppy along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness.
- Some sedative medications include clonazepam (Klonopin), lorazepam (Ativan), phenobarbital (Donnatal), zolpidem (Ambien), and others.
Amapola de California, Eschscholzia californica, Pavot d’Amérique, Pavot d’Or, Pavot de Californie, Poppy California, Yellow Poppy.
Source: WebMD, “California Poppy”, www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/