- Antiseptic: It protects wounds from becoming septic as well as from other bacterial, fungal or viral infections. It forms a protective covering on the wound and promotes the collection of blood platelets and leucocytes at the affected place, thereby blocking the intrusion of microbes. Furthermore, the oil itself has bactericidal and fungicidal properties and kills them, thereby adding to this protective effect.
- Antispasmodic: A spasm in the respiratory system can make you suffer from breathing troubles, congestion and exhausting coughs while muscular spasm gives cramps and muscle pulls, which are very painful. Spasms in the digestive system (intestines) can cause vomiting and pulling aches in the stomach and intestines while a spasm in the nervous system can result in nervous afflictions and convulsions. There are a number of treatments, but one that is herbal and has no adverse side effects is mandarin essential oil. Just a few drops and the spasm will be cured.
- Depurative: It purifies the blood by helping remove toxic and unwanted substances from the body by means of excretion, including urine, fecal matter and sweat. This prevents diseases that result from the deposition of toxins, such as abscesses, boils, acne, gout, and arthritis.
- Digestive: A few drops of this oil after lunch or dinner facilitates digestion by stimulating the discharge of digestive juices and bile into the stomach. It also increases the appetite.
- Hepatic: This oil is good for the liver as it helps to maintain the proper discharge of bile from it and protects it from infections. It also strengthens the liver and optimizes its functions.
- Nervous Relaxant: Although the oil is a common sedative, its sedating action is more prominent in relaxing and calming nervous afflictions and disturbances. It can calm attacks of epilepsy, hysteria and convulsions. Furthermore, it removes stress and anxiety.
- Cytophylactic: The essential oil of mandarin also promotes the growth of new cells and tissues, thereby helping to speed the healing time of wounds and other signs of wear & tear. This also promotes proper growth of the body.
- Tonic: Mandarin essential oil tones up overall health and boosts the function of the immune system. Being a tonic, it helps in the growth and proper functioning of the body by toning up all the organic systems functioning in it, including the respiratory, digestive, cardiovascular, circulatory, neurotic, excretory, nervous, and endocrine systems. It also boosts the overall immune system of the body.
- Sedative: The essential oil of mandarin oranges is a reputed sedative for inflammation and nervous disturbances.
- Stomachic: This oil helps maintain the acid and base balance in the stomach and protects it from ulcers and other disorders. It also fights any infections in the stomach.
- This essential oil relieves stress, cures skin disorders, maintains moisture balance in the skin, treats diarrhea, constipation, flatulence and other such disorders related to digestive and excretory systems, while also diminishing scars, stretch marks, and fat cracks on skin.
- It has been known to show photo-toxicity and it may produce irritation in some skin types.