Dexpanthenol is a derivative of pantothenic acid, a B complex vitamin.
- Relieving dry skin
- Preventing and treating sore nipples during breast-feeding
- Promoting healing of burns and poorly-healing wounds
- It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
- This medication is used as a moisturizer to treat or prevent dry, rough, scaly, itchy skin and minor skin irritations
- Emollients are substances that soften and moisturize the skin and decrease itching and flaking.
- Dry skin is caused by a loss of water in the upper layer of the skin. Emollients/moisturizers work by forming an oily layer on the top of the skin that traps water in the skin.
- Most emollients can be used safely and effectively with no side effects. However, burning, stinging, redness, or irritation may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.
Brand name: Panthoderm
Source: WebMD, http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-75143/dexpanthenol-top/details#side-effects