Evening primrose is a plant that’s native to Europe and North America. It has a long history of medical uses.
- Native Americans used its leaves, roots, and seedpods in preparations for hemorrhoids, bruises, wounds, and skin problems.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Eczema or atopic dermatitis and other skin conditions
- Breast pain during menstruation
- Evening primrose oil has also been used as a complementary treatment for some cancers.
- Evening Primrose Oil may be helpful in eczema or atopic dermatitis.
- Some studies suggest that supplements that contain gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), including evening primrose oil, may be of some benefit to people with rheumatoid arthritis.