- Ferulic acid is an antioxidant which neutralizes free radicals (superoxide, nitric oxide and hydroxyl radical) which could cause oxidative damage of cell membranes and DNA. Ferulic acid can be converted into the flavor vanillin by biochemical reaction.
- UV Protection: Ferulic acid helps to prevent damage to our cells caused by ultraviolet light. Exposure to ultraviolet light actually increases the antioxidant potency of ferulic acid.
- Aging: Ferulic acid is often added as ingredient of anti-aging supplements.
- Diabetes: Studies have shown that ferulic acid can decrease blood glucose levels and can be of help to diabetes patients.
- Bone Degeneration: Helps keep bones healthy
- menopausal symptoms: Helps reduce hot flushes
- Cholesterol: Like many other antioxidants, ferulic acid reduces the level of cholesterol and triglyceride, thereby reducing the risk of hearth disease.
- Cancer: Ferulic acid seems to reduce the risk of many cancers, including cancer of the stomach, colon, breast, prostate, liver, lung and tongue. A study by W Kuenzig et all Caffeic and ferulic acid as blockers of nitrosamine formation published in Carcinogenesis (Vol 5, 1984) showed that dietary caffeic acid and ferulic acid may play a role in the body’s defense against carcinogenesis by inhibiting the formation of N- nitroso compounds.