- Glyceryl stearate is composed of naturally occuring lipid ingredients glycerol and stearic acid.
- Glycerol monostearate, commonly known as GMS, is an organic molecule used as an emulsifier. GMS is a colorless, odorless, and sweet-tasting flaky powder that is hygroscopic. It is a glycerol ester of stearic acid. It occurs naturally in the body as a by-product of the breakdown of fats, and is also found in fatty foods.
- GMS is a food additive used as a thickening, emulsifying, anti-caking, and preservative agent; an emulsifying agent for oils, waxes, and solvents; a protective coating for hygroscopic powders; a solidifier and control release agent in pharmaceuticals; and a resin lubricant. It is also used in cosmetics and hair care products.
- GMS is largely used in baking preparations to add “body” to the food. It is responsible for giving ice cream and whipped cream its smooth texture. It is sometimes used as an anti-staling agent in bread.
- Fragrance Ingredient; Skin-Conditioning Agent