Green Banana Flour is one of the best alternatives to processed wheat flour and can actually make those cakes and cookies good for you.
- Used for making delicious cakes to sauces, soups, smoothies, and more, Green Banana Flour is a smart and wholesome addition for cooking.
- Banana flour also has naturally occurring potassium and fiber and is a digestion-friendly resistant starch.
- It Balances Blood-Sugar Levels: Because the young bananas are picked before they ripen, their sugar content never fully develops, so they’re lower in natural sugars than their adult counterparts. Also, unlike other starchy ingredients such as pasta and white bread – which are rapidly digested, get absorbed as glucose into the bloodstream, and spike up insulin levels – the resistant starch in green bananas slows the release of food through the gut. This slows the insulin response and prevents that sugar spike and consequent sugar crash. Long story short: no more mid-afternoon slumps.
- It’s High in Fiber: And not just any fiber, but prebiotic fiber. Prebiotics support the good bacteria present in the gut, bowel, and colon and are far more powerful and beneficial for our bellies than probiotics as they act as a fertilizer for existing good flora, helping them to grow and work more effectively. This can help with everything from poor digestion to IBS, and it can even help you get a flatter stomach.
- Less Is More: Because of its super high starch content, you can use a lot less banana flour compared to regular ones. Generally, the rule of thumb is 30 percent less, depending on the recipe. A little really does go a long way.
- It Can Help with Weight-Loss: Lower in calories than most wheat flours and alternatives like oat and almond flour, it’s an excellent choice for those watching their waistlines. Because of its fiber content, it keeps you feeling fuller for longer, making you less likely to reach for that packet of biscuits an hour after lunch. It’s also great for those suffering with diabetes for this very reason.
- It Doesn’t Taste Like Bananas: Okay, so this isn’t a good thing if you love bananas, but the advantage is that you can use it as a substitute for ordinary flour in pretty much anything. It has a subtle, almost nutty taste that won’t affect the flavor of the dish you’re preparing.
- It’s Seriously Nutritious: High in essential minerals and vitamins including zinc, vitamin E, magnesium, and manganese, green-banana flour is also abundant in potassium – so much so that just two tablespoons contain the same amount as seven whole bananas! It also helps lower cholesterol, boosts heart health, and aids nerve and muscle activity.
- It’s Gluten-Free: So if you’re gluten-intolerant, hooray! Green-banana flour is also grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and soy-free, making it perfect for vegans and those on the Paleo diet.
Please consult with your doctor.
Source: NowFoods, https://www.nowfoods.com/natural-foods/green-banana-flour