Green-lipped mussel is a shellfish. People use it to make medicine. As a medicine, it is available in freeze-dried, ground, and capsule form.
- Asthma: Developing research suggests that a particular extract of New Zealand green-lipped mussel decreases daytime wheezing and improves breathing in some people with asthma.
- Osteoarthritis: Early research suggests that taking Green-lipped mussel extract by mouth reduces symptoms of osteoarthritis, including pain and stiffness
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA): Some early research suggests that taking it by mouth reduces symptoms of RA, including pain and stiffness.
- Relieving pains related to arthritis
- Reduce inflammation
- Better external appearance
- Circulatory System
- Immune system
- Bones and teeth
- Nervous System
New Zealand green-lipped mussel is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth. It can cause some side effects such as diarrhea, nausea, and intestinal gas. In rare cases, it might cause liver problems.
New Zealand mussel, greenshell mussel, Seaton®, GLM, Lyprinol®
Source: WebMD, http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-830-new%20zealand%20green-lipped%20mussel.aspx?activeingredientid=830&activeingredientname=new%20zealand%20green-lipped%20mussel
Arthritis Uk Research, http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/cam-report/complementary-medicines-for-rheumatoid-arthritis/green-lipped-mussel.aspx