Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate is a naturally- lightweight, plant-based sugar used in cosmetics and food products as a thickener and emulsifier.
It is often seen in hair products because it is gentle on hair and imparts a smooth, velvety feel (Making Cosmetics).
Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate is a popular ingredient in cosmetics because of its versatility. It stabilizes emulsions at any temperature, gives formulas immediate viscosity, reduces the greasiness of products and delivers a smooth, thick feeling.
• Stabilizes emulsions at any temperature
• Reduces the greasiness of products
• Give a velvety feel
• Simplifies emulsion procedure
• Is Nonionic and compatible with large variety of salts & ingredients
• High ability to withstand heat and acid
There are no adverse safety warnings regarding Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, as long as it’s used in concentrations between 3 and 10% as recommended by the CIR.
No interactions are known. Please consult your pharmacist.