Kantakari is a very useful Ayurvedic herb.
Used widely in the treatment of cough, cold, asthma and such other respiratory tract conditions.
- Kantkari is useful in treating worms, cold, hoarseness of voice, fever, dysuria, enlargement of the liver, muscular pain, spleen and stone in the urinary bladder.
- Nasal administration of kantkari is beneficial in migraine, asthma and headache.
- Its dried fruit is used in making cigarettes. The smoke from these cigarettes is held in the mouth cavity, to treat dental infections.
- The juice of the berries is used in curing sore throat.
- The fumigation of kantakari is helpful in piles.
- The herb is made to a paste and applied on swollen and painful joints to reduce the pain and swelling in arthritis.
- Roots and seeds are used as an expectorant in asthma, cough and pain in chest.
- The decoction of the root is given with honey, to treat cough.
- The root is ground to a paste and mixed with lemon to cure snake and scorpion bites.
- Its stem, flowers and fruits, being bitter and carminative, are used for relieving burning sensation in the feet.
- Kantakari fruits also facilitate seminal ejaculation, alleviate worms, itching, and fever and reduce fats.
- The fruit works as an aphrodisiac in males.
- Its seeds are helpful for treating irregular menstruation and dysmenorrheal in females.
- The herb is beneficial in the treatment of cardiac diseases associated with edema, since it is a stimulant to the heart and a blood purifier.
- Read more at http://www.iloveindia.com/indian-herbs/solanum-xanthocarpum.html#ID552xuzMPu3jOHo.99
- Kantkari should not be taken during pregnancy.