Lactobacillus acidophilus is a bacteria that exists naturally in the body, primarily in the intestines and the vagina. Lactobacillus acidophilus helps maintain an acidic environment in the body, which can prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
Lactobacillus acidophilus has been used to treat or prevent:
- Vaginal yeast infections
- Yeast infections of the mouth
- Diarrhea caused by taking antibiotics
- Urinary tract infections.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus may work by helping the body maintain normal consistency of bacteria in the stomach, intestines, and vagina.
- Talk to your doctor before taking lactobacillus acidophilus if you have any other medical conditions, allergies, or if you take other medicines or herbal/health supplements. Under certain conditions, it may be dangerous for you to take lactobacillus acidophilus.
- Do not take lactobacillus acidophilus without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or may become pregnant during treatment.
- Do not take lactobacillus acidophilus without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.