- Probiotics contain different types of micro-organisms such as yeast (saccharomyces boulardii) and bacteria (such as lactobacillus, bifidobacterium). Micro-organisms (flora) are naturally found in the stomach/intestines/vagina. Some conditions (such as antibiotic use, travel) can change the normal balance of bacteria/yeast. Probiotics are used to improve digestion and restore normal flora.
- Probiotics have been used to treat bowel problems (such as diarrhea, irritable bowel), eczema, vaginal yeast infections, lactose intolerance, and urinary tract infections.
- Probiotics are available in foods (such as yogurt, milk, juices, soy beverages) and as dietary supplements (capsules, tablets, powders). Different products have different uses. Check the label for information on uses for your particular product.
- Some diet supplement products have been found to contain possibly harmful impurities/additives. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use.
- The FDA has not reviewed this product for safety or effectiveness. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.
- Follow all directions on the product package. Refer to the label directions for your specific product to see if the dose should be swallowed whole, chewed, sprinkled onto food or mixed with liquid. If you are uncertain about any of the information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- An increase in stomach gas or bloating may occur. If this effect persists or worsens, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
- Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: signs of infection (such as high fever, chills, persistent cough).
- A very serious allergic reaction to this product is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
- This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist…
- If you are taking this product for diarrhea due to antibiotics, do not use it if you have a high fever or for more than 2 days, unless directed by your doctor. You may have a serious problem that requires medical treatment.
- If your condition persists or worsens, or if you think you may have a serious medical problem, seek immediate medical attention.