Laminaria Ochroleuca is the Latin name for a species of kelp, also known as brown seaweed.
- Laminaria ochroleuca is used in products from Spain, Germany, France, and the UK; these include rescue balms, repairing and anti-aging moisturizers, as well as dried and packaged foods.
- Extracts of Laminaria ochroleuca have been found to act as a central nervous system depressant with a slight analgesic activity.
- It is also able to effectively guard DNA against UV rays and premature aging. With these properties it is becoming more widely used in cosmetics and in natural therapeutic medicine.
- Applied topically, Laminaria ochroleuca helps reduce inflammation and, like many forms of seaweed, has some amonut of moisture-binding properties due to its sterol content.
- Weight loss.
- High blood pressure.
- Cancer prevention.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, it’s best to avoid laminaria.
- Kidney problems: Laminaria might cause dangerously high potassium and iodine levels. Don’t take laminaria if you have kidney problems.
- Thyroid problems: Laminaria contains significant amounts of iodine, which might make thyroid problems worse.
- Digoxin (Lanoxin) interacts with LAMINARIA
Laminaria contains large amounts of potassium. Large amounts of potassium can increase the effects and side effects of digoxin (Lanoxin). Do not take laminaria if you are taking digoxin (Lanoxin).
- Medications for high blood pressure (ACE inhibitors) interacts with LAMINARIA
Laminaria contains large amounts of potassium. Some medications for high blood pressure can increase potassium levels in the blood. Taking laminaria along with some medications for high blood pressure might cause too much potassium in the blood.Some medications for high blood pressure include captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), ramipril (Altace), and others.
- Potassium supplements interacts with LAMINARIA
Laminaria contains large amounts of potassium. Taking potassium supplements along with laminaria might cause too much potassium to be in the body. Do not take laminaria if you are taking potassium supplements.
- Thyroid hormone interacts with LAMINARIA
The body naturally produces thyroid hormones. Laminaria might increase how much thyroid hormone the body produces. Taking laminaria along with thyroid hormone pills might increase the effects and side effects of thyroid hormones.
- Water pills (Potassium-sparing diuretics) interacts with LAMINARIA
Laminaria contains large amounts of potassium. Some “water pills” can also increase potassium levels in the body. Taking some “water pills” along with laminaria might cause too much potassium to be in the body.Some “water pills” that increase potassium in the body include amiloride (Midamor), spironolactone (Aldactone), triamterene (Dyrenium), and others.
Algue Brune, Brown Algae, Brown Seaweed, Hai Dai, Kelp, Kombu, Kun Bu, Laminaire, Laminaire Digitée, Laminaire Japonaise, Laminaria digitata, Laminaria japonica, Laminariae stipites, Limu, Makombu Thallus, Sea Girdles, Seagirdle Thallus, Thallus Laminariae.