- Malic acid, a natural substance found in fruits and vegetables, is commonly associated with apples. The body produces malic acid when it converts carbohydrates into energy.
- Taking malic acid supplements is beneficial for conditions such as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. It can help with oral hygiene as well.
- Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Malic acid supports energy production and carries out reactions in the body. It also increases muscle performance and mental focus while reducing fatigue after exercise. As a result, malic acid can help those suffering side effects from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. A study in the “Journal of Rheumatology” revealed that supplementing with 1,200 milligrams of malic acid and 300 milligrams of magnesium daily for six months decreased the symptoms of pain and tenderness in those suffering from fibromyalgia.
- Increased Energy: Malic acid helps boost energy levels. It is an essential component in the Krebs cycle, a process that turns carbohydrates, proteins and fats into energy and water in your body. If there isn’t an adequate supply of malic acid in the body, the Krebs cycle can’t function properly, leading to fatigue. Eating foods or taking supplements containing malic acid might help your cells carry out the Krebs cycle normally and therefore support energy production.
- Additional Benefits: In addition to its presence in food and supplements, malic acid is found in different commercial products. It is an ingredient in mouthwashes and toothpastes because it stimulates saliva production and reduces the amount of harmful bacteria in mouth. Malic acid is also an alpha hydroxy acid, which has exfoliating properties when applied to the skin. And it is less irritating than other alpha hydroxy acids, making it suitable for individuals with sensitive skin.
Source: Cooper, Emily; “Malic Acid Benefits”, 19 Nov 2014, www.livestrong.com/article/85196-malic-acid-benefits/