Mangosteen fruit powder, which is typically made by grinding freeze-dried mangosteen pericarp and pulp, frequently pops up on ‘superfood’ and ‘superfruit’ charts listing the world’s most nutrient-dense foods.
In Southeast Asia, the pericarp of the mangosteen fruit has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. It has been used to make healing fruit tea to treat everything from diarrhea, menstrual disorders, catarrh, and dysentery (an inflammatory disorder of the intestine) to gonorrhea, thrush, and urinary tract infections. An ointment made from the pericarp has also been used as a treatment for skin rashes, eczema, psoriasis, and wounds that have trouble healing.
- Antioxidants: Scientific Research has revealed that Mangosteen contains a class of naturally occurring polyphenol compounds known as xanthones. There are two types of xanthones in this fruit – alpha mangosteen and gamma mangosteen. Xanthones and their derivatives have been shown to have several benefits, including anti-inflammatory. Xanthones are an effective remedy against various cardiovascular diseases. These antioxidants have healing properties which heal cells damaged by free radicals, slow down aging and ward off degenerative diseases and physical and mental deterioration.
- Low calories: This fruit is very low in calories (63 calories per 100 g) and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Nonetheless, it is rich in dietary fiber (100 g provides about 13% of RDA), which can be very important for individuals who are concerned about putting on excess body weight.
- Vitamin C: Mangosteens are rich in vitamin C and contains about 12% RDA per 100g. Being a powerful water soluble anti oxidant, vitamin C provides resistance against flu like infectious agents and scavenge harmful pro-inflammatory free radicals. Therefore consumption of fruits rich in vitamin C is vital for developing resistance against diseases. Folate plays an important role in foetal development and evolution of new cells in the body. This particular vitamin is vital during pregnancy and protects neutral tube effects.
- Bloodflow: Mangosteen aids in promoting red blood cells and prevents against anaemia. It improves the blood flow by causing dilation of blood vessels which helps to protect us against certain diseases like atherosclerosis, high cholesterol, heart congestion and severe chest pains.By increasing the amount of blood flow to the eye, Vitamin C in mangosteen is effective against cataracts.1000mg Vitamin C per day is said to be effective in curbing cataracts and improving vision.
- Reduces cholesterol: Diet rich in mangosteen is helpful in reducing the level of cholesterol in human body. It also helps to control the level of triglycerides to take care of proper working of human heart.
- Tuberculosis: Mangosteen fruit contains strong antibacterial and antifungal properties besides being highly effective in boosting weak immune systems. Its inhibitory action against harmful bacteria is effective for patients suffering from tuberculosis.
- Cancer: The antioxidants found in mangosteen help to prevent cancer and other cardiovascular diseases. It is a powerful and effective antioxidant that protects our body from free radicals that cause oxidative stress, or” cellular rust” that can lead to host of severe medical conditions.
- Blood pressure: Mangosteen also contains high amounts of of minerals like copper, manganese and magnesium. Potassium provides protection against strokes and coronary heart diseases as it is an important component of cell and body fluids and controls heart rate and blood pressure.
- Anti-inflammatory: Mangosteen contains anti-inflammatory properties which is highly beneficial for people who suffer from sciatica pains which cannot be controlled by drug treatment. Consuming mangosteen two to three times a day will help to relieve pain through its anti-inflammatory and cox-2 inhibitor effects.
- Alheimer’s:One of the major health benefits of mangosteen is its effectiveness in treating Alzheimer’s disease. This disease is accompanied by symptoms like confusion and perplexity and difficulty in remembering things.
Not just mangosteen fruit, Mangosteen rinds and other parts also contain many health benefits.
- While the dried powder of mangosteen rind is used in the treatment of dysentery, its paste can be used to treat eczema and some other skin disorders.
- A decoction made of mangosteen rind can be used to treat diarrhoea, whereas a decoction made of mangosteen roots is used for regulating menstruation.
- A decoction made of mangosteen leaves and bark, is beneficial in bringing down body temperature and also to treat thrush and urinary disorders.
Although adverse effects and allergic reactions seem to be uncommon in people who have tried fresh mangosteens, mangosteen fruit powder, or mangosteen juice, the potential long-term toxicity and side effects of products containing mangosteen extracts (especially those containing the pericarp) have not been well researched. Furthermore, the vast majority of recent studies examining the potential health benefits of mangosteen fruits have been conducted in test tubes and animals, and thus further research is needed to determine mangosteen’s health effects in humans.
None are recorded.
Source: Healwithfood, http://www.healwithfood.org/health-benefits/mangosteen-fruit-powder.php