- Preventing or treating excess body water in certain kidney conditions, reducing swelling of the brain, or reducing pressure in the eye. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
- Mannitol is an osmotic diuretic. It works by increasing the amount of fluid excreted by the kidneys and helps the body to decrease pressure in the brain and eyes.
Do NOT use mannitol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in mannitol
- you have a history of heart failure
- you have decreased or absent production of urine due to severe kidney disease, certain severe lung problems (eg, pulmonary congestion or pulmonary edema), bleeding in the brain, or severe dehydration
- Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have swelling, kidney problems, or heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure)
- Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with mannitol. However, no specific interactions with mannitol are known at this time.
- Ask your health care provider if mannitol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.