- Muira puama is a plant. The wood and root are used to make medicine.
- Muira puama is used for preventing sexual disorders and to increase interest in sexual activity (as an aphrodisiac). It is also used for upset stomach, menstrual disorders, joint pain (rheumatism), and paralysis caused by poliomyelitis; and as a general tonic and an appetite stimulant.
- Some people apply muira puama directly to the skin as an aphrodisiac and for rheumatism and muscle paralysis.
- In combination with other herbs, muira puama is used as a remedy for male sexual performance problems (erectile dysfunction, ED).
- Muira Puama is one of the most active botanicals with a long history of traditional use as an energy tonic, general health improver and remedy for impotence & sexual insufficiency. It is known in some circles as “the Viagra of the Amazon” and in fact, many people now consider it the new Yohimbe but with considerably less possible side effects.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking muira puama if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Bois de la Puissance, Bois de la Puissance Sexuelle, Marapuama, Muira-Puama, Muirapuama, Potency Wood, Ptychopetali lignum, Ptychopetalum olacoides, Ptychopetalum uncinatum.
Source: WebMD, “MUIRA PUAMA”, http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-574-muira%20puama.aspx?activeingredientid=574&activeingredientname=muira%20puama
Source: Herb Wisdom, “Muira Puama”, http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-muira-puama.html