Nonoxynol-9, sometimes abbreviated as N-9, is an organic compound that is used as a surfactant. It is a member of the nonoxynol family of nonionic surfactants. N-9 and related compounds are ingredients in various cleaning and cosmetic products.
- It is widely used in contraceptives for its spermicidal properties.
- Spermicides are locally acting non-hormonal contraceptives. When present in the vagina during intercourse, they immobilize/inactivate/damage and/or kill sperms without eliciting systemic effects.
- No side effects are known, although in several European countries, spermicides are no longer on the market.
- Not known.
- Nonaethylene glycol mono(nonylphenyl) ether
- Nonaethylene glycol nonylphenyl ether
- Nonoxynol 9
- Nonylphenol octa(oxyethylene) ethanol
- P-Nonylphenyl polyethylene glycol ether
- PEG-9 nonyl phenyl ether
- Polyoxyethylene (9) nonyl phenyl ether
- Tergitol NP-9
- Tergitol NP9
Source: Drugabank, https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB06804