- Nux vomica is a plant. The seed is used to make medicine.
- Nux Vocima is used as a homeopathic remedy.
- Despite serious safety concerns, nux vomica is used for diseases of the digestive tract, disorders of the heart and circulatory system, diseases of the eye, and lung disease. It is also used for nerve conditions, depression, migraineheadache, symptoms of menopause, and a blood vessel disorder called Raynaud’s disease.
- Other uses include treatment of “tired blood” (anemia), as a tonic, and as an appetite stimulant.
- Men use nux vomica for erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence).
- In manufacturing, nux vomica is used as rat poison. That’s because it contains strychnine and brucine, two deadly chemicals.
- This is a homeopathic remedy. Please consult your doctor before administering homeopathic remedies and proceed with caution.
- Nux vomica contains strychnine and other chemicals that affect the brain and cause muscle contractions. This can lead to convulsions and death. Strychnine in amounts that are too small to produce symptoms can still be a serious problem. Small amounts of strychnine build up in the body with continued use, especially in people with liver disease. This can cause death in a period of weeks. Strychnine poisoning can be detected with laboratory tests.
- Nux vomica is UNSAFE. Taking nux vomica for more than a week, or in high amounts of 30 mg or more, can cause severe side effects. Some of these side effects include restlessness, anxiety, dizziness, neck and back stiffness, spasms of jaw and neck muscles, convulsions, seizures, breathing problems, liver failure, and death.
- No one should take nux vomica, but certain people are especially at risk for toxic side effects. These side effects are especially dangerous if you have any of the following conditions:
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking nux vomica can harm both mother and child. Don’t use it.
- Liver disease: The strychnine in nux vomica can cause liver damage or make liver disease worse. Don’t use it.
Brechnusssamen, Kuchla, Kupilu, Noix Vomique, Nuez Vomica, Nux Vom, Poison Nut, Quaker Buttons, Shudha Kupilu, Strychni Semen, Strychnos Seed, Strychnos nux-vomica, Vishamushti, Vomiquier.
Source: WebMD, “Nux Vocima”, www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/
See Homeopathy for more information.