Organic Skullcap Leaf is used to make medicine.
- Skullcap is used for many conditions, but so far, there isn’t enough scientific evidence to determine whether or not it is effective for any of them.
- Skullcap is used for trouble sleeping (insomnia), anxiety, stroke, and paralysis caused by stroke.
- It is also used for fever, high cholesterol, “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis), rabies, epilepsy, nervous tension, allergies, skin infections, inflammation, and spasms.
- Anxiety Relief: There are many different herbs that can provide relief from stress and anxiety; in fact, aromatherapy is hugely devoted to the use of herbs and essential oils to treat anxiety and tension. Skullcap tea is also a very popular method, as it can help to balance the hormones in your body, stimulate the release of endorphins, and generally balance your mood. If you are feeling worked up for no reason, and constantly feel tense, then perhaps what you need is a simple cup of tea. Phenolic compounds can have a wide range of effect on our hormonal balance, and it happens to be rich in those antioxidant compounds.
- Pain Relief: There are certain analgesic qualities to skullcap as well, meaning that consuming it can help relieve pain throughout the body, partially through a reduction in inflammation. However, you can also mix dried one into a paste and apply it directly to the areas that are experiencing pain. This can be a major boost for the healing of wounds, or if you are recovering from an injury. Also, small scrapes and bruises can be healed more rapidly by applying it topically, as the rich phenolic compounds and flavones stimulate blood flow to the skin and help prevent infection.
- Nervous Disorders: If you suffer from a nervous disorder, you may have experienced seizures or other spasmodic side effects that result from a problem in your nervous system. Skullcap tea can soothe the nervous system and prevent these episodes, and has been traditionally used to reduce seizure frequency and severity in those patients. Regularly adding skullcap to drinking water once a day has been associated with this positive benefit.
- Liver Health: If you are looking for a way to detoxify you body and boost your overall health, skullcap tea may be just the thing. Skullcap has been associated with increased antioxidant activity in the liver, which is one of the slowest-recovering organs, and this effect can significantly boost the efficiency of your liver. This reduces toxin levels in the body and blood, thereby improving overall health and wellness.
- Diabetes Management: Research has directly linked the use of skullcap with more regulated insulin levels in those patients suffering from diabetes. Insulin and glucose regulation is essential, and it appears that it was able to increase the production of insulin by the pancreas and help regulate the insulin levels in the body. Furthermore, it has been linked to lowered cholesterol levels, which is an exacerbating factor in diabetes.
- Heart Health: By reducing the level of cholesterol in the heart, skullcap is able to lower the chances of atherosclerosis and the heart attacks and strokes that so often accompany that build-up of plaque in the arteries. By lowering cholesterol levels, it can help lower blood pressure and prevent coronary heart disease.
- Weight Loss: Although the research on this particular aspect of skullcap is still rather unclear, it appears that the reduction of triglycerides stimulated by it can also help for rapid weight loss when combined with a proper diet. This research is ongoing, but presents an exciting new option for those looking for new ways to lose weight.
- Cancer Prevention: Chinese skullcap has long been used in the East for the natural treatment of cancer, namely because this herbal remedy has been known to induce apoptosis, which is sudden cell death, in cancerous cells. This is thought to be caused by the antioxidant flavone components of the herb. This prevents the spread of cancerous cells and slows tumor growth, thereby giving other cancer treatments a chance to take effect and win the ultimate battle of the disease.
- There is not enough information available to know if skullcap is safe to take for medical conditions.Special Precautions & Warnings:
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking skullcap is you are pregnant or breast feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- Surgery: Skullcap may slow down the central nervous system. Healthcare providers worry that anesthesia and other medications during and after surgery might increase this effect. Stop taking skullcap at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Unknown, please consult with your doctor.
American Skullcap, Blue Pimpernel, Blue Skullcap, Escutelaria, Grande Toque, Helmet Flower, Hoodwort, Mad-Dog Herb, Mad-Dog Skullcap, Mad-Dog Weed, Mad Weed, Quaker Bonnet, Scullcap, Scutellaria, Scutellaire, Scutellaire de Virginie, Scutellaire Latériflore, Scutelluria, Scutellaria lateriflora, Toque Bleue, Toque Casquée, Toque des Marais
Image source: Mountain Rose Herbs, https://www.mountainroseherbs.com