Plantago major (broadleaf plantain or greater plantain) is a species of plantago, family Plantaginaceae. The plant is native to most of Europe and northern and central Asia,but has widely naturalised elsewhere in the world
- Common cold. Early research suggests that taking great plantain might help reduce the symptoms of the common cold.
- Ongoing (chronic) bronchitis. Developing evidence suggests that taking great plantain might help treat chronic bronchitis.
- Bladder infections.
- Skin conditions, when applied to the skin.
- Eye irritation, when applied to the eye.
- Other conditions.
- Plantago major is found all over the world, and is one of the most abundant and accessible medicinal herbs. It contains many bioactive compounds, including allantoin, aucubin, ursolic acid, flavonoids, and asperuloside. Scientific studies have shown that Plantago major extract has a wide range of biological effects, including “wound healing activity, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antioxidant, weak antibiotic, immuno modulating and antiulcerogenic activity”.
- For millennia, poultices of Plantago major leaves have been applied to wounds, sores, and stings to promote healing. The active constituents are the anti-microbial compound aucubin, the cell-growth promoter allantoin, a large amount of soothing mucilage,flavonoids, caffeic acid derivatives, and alcohols in the wax on the leaf surface. The root of Plantago major was also traditionally used to treat wounds, as well as to treat fever and respiratory infections.
- Due to its astringent properties, a tea of plantain leaves can be ingested to treat diarrhea or dysentery. Due to the high vitamin and mineral content, plantain tea simultaneously replenishes the nutrients lost as a result of diarrhea. Adding fresh plantain seeds or flower heads to a tea will act as an effective lubricating and bulking laxative and soothe raw, sore throats.
- When ingested, the aucubin in Plantago major leaves leads to increased uric acid excretion from the kidneys, and may be useful in treating gout
- Please consult your doctor!
- None are recorded.
Common Plantain, Erva-De-Orelha, General Plantain, Grand Plantain, Greater Plantain, Llantén, Plantago asiatica, Plantago Mayor, Plantain, Plantain à Bouquet, Plantain Commun, Plantain à Feuilles Larges, Plantain Majeur, Plantain des Oiseaux, Tanchagem
Source: Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_major#Medicinal_use