Polygonatum sibrica Rhizome also known as King Solomon’s-seal or Solomon’s seal, is a genus of flowering plants. In the APG III classification system, it is placed in the family Asparagaceae, subfamily Nolinoideae (formerly the family Ruscaceae).
1. It can improve immune function, promote the synthesis of DNA, RNA and protein, and promote the transformation of lymphocyte;
2. It has a significant effect on fighting mycobacterium tuberculosis;
3. It has inhibition on a variety of pathogenic fungi, typhoid bacillus, and Staphylococcus aureus;
4. It can increase the coronary blood flow, lower blood pressure, reduce blood fat, and mitigate the degree of coronary artery artheromatosis;
5. It significantly inhibits the epinephrine induced hyperglycemia;
6. It inhibits adrenal cortex and defies aging.
7. Experiments showed that polygonati rhizoma extract has hemostasis and could reduce the amount of bleeding in mice.
Rhizoma polygonati was rated with a class 1 by the AHPA. That is to say, it is quite safe if it is used properly. From the perspective of TCM (Traditional Chinese medicine), it shouldn’t be used in the cases of diarrhea due to pathogenic cold of middle warmer, qi depression, and distention and fullness caused by phlegm-damp stagnation.
None are recorded.