- This medication is used to treat constipation. It increases the bulk in your stool, an effect that helps to cause movement of the intestines. It also works by increasing the amount of water in the stool, making the stool softer and easier to pass.
- Psyllium, one type of bulk-forming laxative, has also been used along with a proper diet to treat high cholesterol.
- Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor. If you are self-treating, follow all directions on the product package. If you are uncertain about any of the information, ask your doctor or pharmacist. To prevent choking from this medication, take it with a full glass of water or other liquid (8 ounces/240 milliliters). If you are taking the wafers, chew them thoroughly before swallowing.
- For powder forms of this medication, measure each dose according to the directions on the product label. Mix in a full glass of water or other liquid (8 ounces/240 milliliters), stir completely, and drink immediately. You may add more liquid to the mixture if it becomes too thick. When preparing the medication, be careful not to breathe in the powder since it may rarely cause an allergic reaction.
- Dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to treatment. Do not increase your dose or take this drug more often than directed.
- This product may decrease the absorption of other medications you may be taking. Take this product at least 2 hours from your other medications. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information or if you have any questions.
- It may take 1 to 3 days before this medication starts working. Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time(s) each day. Do not take this medication for more than 7 days unless directed by your doctor.
- Gas or stomach cramping may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
- If your doctor has directed you to use this product, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
- This product must be taken with at least a full glass of water or other liquid (8 ounces/240 milliliters) so that it will not swell in the throat, causing choking. Seek immediate medical attention if after taking this product you have symptoms of choking such as: chest pain, vomiting, difficulty swallowing/breathing.
- A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
- This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens, or if bleeding from the rectum occurs. If you think you may have a serious medical problem, seek immediate medical attention.