Sedum purpureum extract: Orpine (Sedum Purpureum)
Often referred to as Orpine and known as “live-forever,” this plant possesses revitalizing properties that nourish the skin.
- Used as food, roofing, ornamental.
- In traditional herbal medicine the plant has often been regarded to have diuretic and laxative properties.
- Additionally it was used as an herbal remedy for diphtheria, ringworm, to trigger abortion, and also scurvy due to the high content of vitamin found in the plant.
- The herb is known to be helpful to lower high blood pressure, but it should not be used as a blood pressure medicine.
- When sedum acre is used topically the plant extract can work as a local anesthetic and increase blood flow to the skin.
- The herb has been used to treat itchy rashes, ulcers and for the topical treatment of warts, pimples, acne dermatitis and corns.
- The extract from biting stonecrop can cause skin irritation and blistering. By direct contact to the eyes the extract can cause permanent eye damage.
- Internal consumption of this herb is not recommended as it can cause headaches, lethargy and vomiting.
- Chewing on the fresh plant can cause corrosion in the oral cavity and a local anesthetic effect on the tongue.
- Biting stonecrop is a herb that one should use with caution in self-medication. When used in pre-made skin care products the amount of the plant extract is usually so small that such products are safe to use.
Sedum acre, Sedum album, Sedum dasyphyllum, Sedum reflexum (also known as Sedum rupestre) and Sedum hispanicum
Source: USAWeleda, http://usa.weleda.com/ingredients/sedum-purpureum.aspx
Herbal Supplement, https://www.herbal-supplement-resource.com/biting-stonecrop.html