Shankhpushpi grows on rocky and sandy surfaces particularly in North India and belongs to the Convolvulaceae family.
The herb can help to eliminate hypertension, anxiety, asthma, stress-related disorders, epilepsy, insomnia, urinary disorders, hyperthyroid disease, constipation, and numerous neurodegenerative diseases including dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. The herb works primarily by supporting the central nervous system.
- Primarily, shankhapushpi is used as a brain tonic. It is one of the best and prominent natural medicines that help in improving memory. The whole plant of shankhapushpi is used in medical treatment. Its consumption also prevents memory loss.
- The herb is also used as one of the most important ingredients in the treatment of disorders/syndromes, such as hypertension, hypotension, anxiety neurosis, stresses etc.
- It is also beneficial in rejuvenation therapy and works as psycho-stimulant and tranquilizer.
- The extract from shankhapushpi helps in reducing the level of cholesterol in blood, including triglycerides, phospholipids and fatty acids.
- The herb is helpful in fighting ulcers that are formed in the body due to glycoprotiens and mucous secretions, improving the nerve tissues and bone marrow quality.
- The studies on shankhapushpi have also put forward that it is beneficial in remedying hypothyroidism.
- It is also one of the best herbs that are used for enhancing beauty and helps in nourishing all the layers of skin.
- The herb serves to induce a feeling of calm and peace, promotes good sleep and brings relief in anxiety and mental fatigue. It brings a significant reduction in anxiety levels and neuroticism occurring due to varied stress levels.
- Shankhapushpi has an invigorating effect on overall health and promotes health and weight gain.
- It also helps in removing certain types of fatty acids that are harmful for the body.
- Not much research has been published in the western medical literature on shankhapushpi. There is one study on the herb, which throws light on its anti-ulcer properties and its helpfulness in alleviating the symptoms of hyperthyroidism, by reducing the activeness of a liver enzyme.
No side effects are known
None are recorded.
Sankh Pushpi, Shankhini, Kambumalini, Samkhapushpi, Sankaphuli
Source: ILoveIndia, http://www.iloveindia.com/indian-herbs/shankapushpi.html