Sodium bicarbonate(IUPAC name: sodium hydrogen carbonate) is a white chemical compound with the formula NaHCO3. It is a salt composed of sodiumions and bicarbonate ions. Sodium bicarbonate is crystalline but often appears as a fine powder. It has a slightly salty, alkaline taste resembling that of washing soda (sodium carbonate). The natural mineral form is nahcolite. It is a component of the mineral natron and is found dissolved in manymineral springs.
- It is among the food additives encoded by European Union, identified as E 500.
- Since it has long been known and is widely used, the salt has many related names such as baking soda, bread soda, cooking soda, and bicarbonate of soda
- Sodium bicarbonate reduces stomach acid. It is used as an antacid to treat heartburn,indigestion, and upset stomach. Sodium bicarbonate is a very quick-acting antacid. It should be used only for temporary relief. If you need to treat long-term stomach acid problems (e.g., peptic ulcer disease, GERD), talk with your doctor about other medications.
- This section contains uses of this drug that are not listed in the approved labeling for the drug but that may be prescribed by your health careprofessional. Use this drug for a condition that is listed in this section only if it has been so prescribed by your health care professional.
- This medication may be used to make the urine less acidic. This effect helps the kidneys get rid of uric acid, thereby helping to prevent gout and kidney stones. It can make some medications (e.g., sulfonamides) work better or can help your body get rid of too much medication (e.g., phenobarbital). This medication can also prevent and treat certain metabolic problems (acidosis) caused by kidney disease.
No side effects are known.
Unknown, please consult with your doctor.
baking soda, bread soda, cooking soda, andbicarbonate of soda
Source: Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate