Gelatin capsules, also known as soft gels, have an outer coating or shell containing the active ingredient and any filler.
- Softgel technology is popularly used for the production of supplements. It finds special favor with nutrients that are not easily soluble and thus not easily absorbed by the body such as CoQ10, certain caretenoids and herbal extracts. Softgel formulations allow these ingredients to be micronized so that they are more easily broken down by the body.
- Softgel technology is also used in a number of cosmetic products containing retinol, Vitamins C and E, peptides, and herb-based ingredients like green tea and fragrant oils.
- Easy Digestion: Gelatin capsules are easily digested and dissolve within minutes of reaching the stomach, according to physician Ray Sahelian, who has a website devoted to natural supplements. This ensures that the medicine or supplement won’t pass through the digestive system without being absorbed.
- Increased Bioavailability: Using soft gel capsules can increase the bioavailability of poorly absorbed or poorly soluble nutrients, according to the Natural Products Insider website. Through stabilizing, solubilizing or other techniques, manufacturers can enhance the effectiveness of nutrients such as coenzyme Q10, carotenoids and certain herbal extracts. Many of these methods are not possible with solid materials.
- Hermetically Sealed: Unlike any other type of capsules, soft gelatin capsules are hermetically sealed and airtight, as noted by the Natural Products Insider website. This makes them tamper-evident, because any puncture on the surface would cause obvious damage. In addition, the sealed capsule protects the active ingredients from oxygen, a benefit especially important for substances that tend to become rancid, such as fish oil and flaxseed oil. If the capsule is opaque, it also protects the active ingredients from light, which deteriorates some substances.
- Gelatin Safety: Gelatin is generally harmless and safe to consume, according to Sahelian. It is commonly derived from pork or beef and provides a tiny amount of protein and amino acids. However, if an individual is allergic to beef or pork, or does not want to ingest it, he can easily empty the contents of the capsule, which will not contain any gelatin, and pour it into water or juice.
None are recorded. Please consult with your doctor.