- Tongkat Ali has been used in Malaysia for many years by men to increase sexual desire, libido, sexual performance and to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Preliminary lab studies suggests that it may have some effect on the hormone testosterone. Testosterone is primarily responsible for the growth and development of male reproductive organs, including the penis, testicles, scrotum, prostate, and seminal vesicles. Normal testosterone levels maintain energy level, mood, fertility, and sexual desire. Tongkat ali is widely used by bodybuilders to increase muscle mass and strength due to its alleged effects on testosterone.
- Insomnia, anxiety, and restlessness have been reported.
- Do not use tongkat ali if you have breast cancer or prostate cancer, diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, or sleep apnea, as tongkat ali increases testosterone levels.
- Do not use if you have a weakened immune system or if you’re taking immunosuppressant drugs.
- As with other supplements, tongkat ali hasn’t been tested for safety in pregnant women, nursing mothers, children, and those with medical conditions or who are taking medications.
Source: WebMD, “Eurycoma Longifolia” , www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/
See Also: Eurycoma Longifolia