Viola tricolor, known as (exhaustingly) heartsease, heart’s ease, heart’s delight,tickle-my-fancy, Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, come-and-cuddle-me, three faces in a hood, or love-in-idleness, is a common European wild flower, growing as an annual or short-lived perennial.
It has been recommended, among other uses, for epilepsy, asthma, skin diseases and eczema. V. tricolor has a history in folk medicine of helping respiratory problems such as bronchitis, asthma, and cold symptoms. It has expectorant properties, and so has been used in the treatment of chest complaints such as bronchitis and whooping cough. It is also a diuretic, leading to its use in treating rheumatism and cystitis.
- Ointments and skin creams made with pansy as an ingredient have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Pansy is therefore used to treat skin ailments such as psoriasis, acne, eczema, itching, impetigo, and cradle cap. Drinking pansy tea or using it as a poultice on the skin can is effective as well.
- The Chinese have long since used pansies to treat and soften tumors in the body that could result in cancers of the lungs, stomach and the breast.
- Pansy can strengthen contractions of the uterus and induce labor.
- The antitussive properties of the pansy plant lend it to being used to treat respiratory conditions such as asthma, whooping could, and bronchitis. It also soothes inflammations and irritations in the mucus membranes of the throat and loosens and eliminates phlegm. The best way to treat such ailments is by gargling with pansy tea or a pansy infusion. You could also drink the tea made with dried pansy flowers and leaves steeped in hot water. Add honey or lemon juice to taste.
- The salicylates in pansy act as an anti-inflammatory as well. This makes pansy an effective treatment for rheumatism and arthritis.
- Pansy can be used to reduce bruising and broken capillaries as the rutin present in the plant helps stabilize blood vessel walls.
- Bladder infections such as cystitis are cured with the pansy herb.
- Regular consumption of pansy can reduce blood pressure and prevent heart failure.
- The wild pansy flower has been used since ancient times in the treatment of epilepsy.
- Shampoos made with extract of pansy can nourish and condition the scalp keeping it healthy and improving hair quality.
No side effects are known
None are recorded.
pansy, heart’s ease, heart’s delight,tickle-my-fancy, Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, come-and-cuddle-me, three faces in a hood, or love-in-idleness
Source: Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_tricolor