Wheatgrass, a herb that is known for various health benefits, is prepared from the cotyledons of the wheat plant, which are biologically known as Triticum aestivum. It is a powerhouse of nutrients and is known for its ability to increase immunity and help deal with cancer. Intermediate wheatgrass is a perennial grass, part of a family of Wheatgrass plant, and a new breed of wheat with a sweet, nutty-tasting Kernza is the trademark for the grain, which comes from the perennial intermediate wheatgrass plant.
- The health benefits of wheatgrass only came to light when the people of the western world first consumed it in the 1930s. There were many experiments by the agricultural chemist Charles F. Schnabel that were conducted using the herb. Wheatgrass is usually harvested before the wheat plant grows and turns brown.
- Wheatgrass has proven to be one of the best health-reviving herbs and its benefits include the treatment of bowel problems, high blood pressure, nausea, constipation, and acidity. It also aids in weight loss, oral care, and detoxification of the body.
- Bowel Problems: The basic benefit of the herb is that it is helpful in treating issues in the gastrointestinal tract. It is also known to ease the problems that occur in the bowels. It also has the properties of treating rectal bleeding and stimulating smooth bowel movements, while reducing constipation.
- Wheatgrass can be consumed in the form of powder, which has high amounts of chlorophyll. This chlorophyll is responsible for the detoxification of the body. Apart from the detoxification, it also ensures that there is an increased amount of oxygen sent to every cell.
- Premature Aging: Cancer-causing agents are also nullified by chlorophyll, so wheatgrass defends the body from harmful carcinogens, thereby preventing malfunctioning and premature aging.
- Nutrition: Wheatgrass is also said to be extremely nutritious and only two ounces of the herb contains the same amount of nutrients present in four pounds of organic vegetables. Therefore, instead of chomping on unhealthy junk food, you can have wheatgrass instead to greatly improve your overall health.
- Oral Care: The toxins present in the gums and teeth are also removed when you gargle with the juice squeezed from wheatgrass.
- Constipation: The fiber content present in the herb is known to treat constipation and revitalize various metabolic procedures.
- Drinking the juice of wheatgrass can also help in cleansing and detoxifying the body. The lymph nodes are drained of all their toxins and the mucus in the body can be broken up and eliminated, thus eliminating the nausea.
- Weight Loss:Some researchers have also shown that wheatgrass juice encourages weight loss, since it is rich in fiber content. It also provides the body with so much energy that the excess fat caused by an improper diet comprised of junk food is burnt out, resulting in weight loss. This can thus be included in various weight loss diet plans like an all-protein diet plan, for example.
- Blood Pressure: The consumption of wheatgrass also lowers the blood pressure because the count of red blood cells is increased. This subsequently reduces the risk of various cardiac diseases.
- Acidity: The acidity of the body is also maintained, since wheatgrass is said to be extremely alkaline. This balances the pH levels of the body, thereby promoting better function in various parts of the body.