Aspartame is an artificial sweetener used to substitute sugar in food and drink products.
Aspartame is said to have the following beneficial properties:
- 200 times sweeter than sucrose
- enhance and extend flavor
- non-contributory to tooth decay
- helpful to diabetes patients
- helpful in weight management
Online sources suggest a linkage between aspartame and various health problems including cancer, seizures, mood changes, and headaches, however research suggests that aspartame is not linked to any of these things.
Consult a doctor if you have questions about consuming aspartame.