- The homeopathic remedy colocynthis is prepared from the gourd or fruit of the plant called bitter apple, a traditional food plant found growing in Africa, the Mediterranean basin and parts of Asia. Although very little known, bitter apple is a vegetable possessing the aptitude to boost nutrition, enhance food security, promote progress in the rural areas as well as support ecological land care.
- Colocynthis is a homeopathic remedy.
- Although the homeopathic remedy colocynthis is used to cure a number of health conditions, it is primarily used to treat health problems that can be distinguished by spasmodic pain in the abdomen or bowels (colicky) or sharp and spasmodic pain along the course of the nerve (neuralgic pain) owing to suppressed anger. This medication is said to be very useful for relieving headaches, stomach pain that comes together with vomiting or nausea, facial neuralgia, acute pain in the abdomen that is relieved when the patient lies down pulling the knees up as well as abdominal pain accompanied by diarrhea. In addition, colocynthis is also an effective remedy for conditions like rheumatism, nerve pain in the region of the kidneys or ovaries; sciatica or the pain that extends along the sciatic nerve, and dizziness caused by holding the head to one particular side owing to rheumatism in the neck. In fact, colocynthis is a versatile remedy in homeopathy and, hence, used widely to treat the conditions mentioned above and more.
- It has been established that individuals who require the homeopathic remedy colocynthis are those who suffer from pent-up or unexpressed anger. The anger or tetchiness in such people usually worsens when they are questioned or piqued.
- In homeopathy, colocynthis is among the most prominent medicines that work as tonic for the nerves and help to cure several nervous disorders. Some of the case specific uses of colocynthis related to nervous disorders are discussed below.
- Alleviate nervous tension: In homeopathy, colocynthis is one of the most important medications that is prescribed to alleviate the pressure caused in the nervous system owing to the abrupt change in the hormone levels in the body for women having endometriosis (the presence of uterine lining in other pelvic organs, especially the ovaries) prior to and during their menstrual cycle. As the use of colocynthis helps to alleviate the tension of the central neuralgia (injury to the central nervous system), it facilitates to diminish the excessively active nervous cells in the brain leading to the decrease in the endometriosis symptoms, which may include anger, irritation as well as mental and physical pressure.
- Regulating profuse menstrual flow: As in the instance of building up tension of the nervous system, often the over active uterine muscles also result in profuse blood loss during menstruation. In such cases use of the homeopathic remedy colocynthis helps to augment the balance of the cell functioning, thereby regulating the information transmitted by the nerve cells. This action of colocynthis, in turn, helps to reduce the erratic functioning of the uterine muscles leading to diminished out flow or loss of blood during menstruation. Thus, this homeopathic remedy not only helps to cure the condition, but also provide relief to such women from botheration and debility.
- Decrease muscle cramps and twitching: An imbalance in the flow of blood in the abdominal region often results in muscle cramps and twitching. Such abnormal blood flow is said to be an effect of irregular signals received from the nerve cells. Using the homeopathic remedy colocynthis in such cases facilitates in perking up the blood flow to the abdomen, thereby, lessening the cramps and muscle twitching in the abdominal region.
- The homeopathic remedy colocynthis is known to be highly beneficial for people who have been suffering from severe sciatica (the pain that extends along the sciatic nerve), as it helps to provide relief from the acute pain and other symptoms associated with this condition. In fact, this homeopathic remedy is a must for people who suffer from acute sciatica pain that extends from the heel of the foot or the knee. Usually, the condition of people, especially the acute pain, suffering from sciatica worsens when they are in motion or making any movement. In addition, the sciatica pain also worsens when the patient is exposed to cold temperatures.
- People who benefit most from the homeopathic medication colocynthis are those who frequently have a tense feeling in the muscles accompanied by a stitching pain when they walk. Others who would also benefit from the treatment using colocynthis are individuals suffering from piercing or smouldering pains that occur as well as disappear all of a sudden or very abruptly. Such people also have problems with the hip and usually, experience pain and discomfort in the hip region while they are walking or are engaged in any activity requiring hip movements. Thus, apart from curing nervous disorders, colocynthis is also effective for treating various types of pains. However, here is a word for those intending to use this homeopathic remedy to cure any of their conditions. It is advisable that people should only use colocynthis provided their conditions are not accompanied by any type of swelling. People suffering from any nervous problem or any type of pain should not use this medication if they have any kind of distension in the affected area.
- This is a homeopathic remedy. Please consult your doctor before administering homeopathic remedies and proceed with caution.
See Homeopathy for more information.