Kiwi fruit is packed with vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, (more than orange), vitamin K, Vitamin E, vitamin B, potassium and manganese.
- The great source of fiber, both soluble and insoluble, is absolutely the best fiber for intestinal and cardiovascular problems.
- The soluble fiber in kiwi is one of the best prebiotics, and unlike many othe soluble fibers such as inulins, it doesn’t create the infamous prebiotics intestinal discomfort.
- The powder extract contains the same great benefits of eating a kiwi fruit, but it is a few times more powerful than the fruit, and it is very convenient.
- The high concentration in vitamin C, and one of the key constituents in kiwi, actinidin, make it a great food.
- It is believed that the polyphenols and vitamin C are responsible for its anti asthmatic properties. However, its great prebiotic properties might have a great role in this, as intestinal health is known to be linked to asthma. Kiwi contains prebiotic soluble fiber, which selectively stimulates good bacteria in our intestine.
- Actinidin, or actinidain which is also called, is a special enzyme found in many fruits such as pineapple, mango, bananas, and papaya. However, in kiwi fruits it is found in a much larger quantity, hence the special kiwifruit powders, very high in actinidin. Actinidin is known to be a great meat tenderizer, which can help aiding meat digestion, but actinidain is also a general digestion aid.
- The great thing about kiwifruits is that they also contain other various enzymes which are involved in polysaccharide and oligosaccharide metabolism. Here is an abstract about kiwifruit(link is external). That means it helps probiotics break down soluble fiber. This results in less gas while feeding your intestinal microflora with oligosaccharides.
No side effects are known.
Unknown, please consult with your doctor.