Nelumbo Nucifera (Sacred Lotus)
- There are numerous reported pharmacologic investigations of sacred lotus, including antioxidant, hepatoprotective, immunomodulatory, anti-infective, hyperlipidemic, and psychopharmacologic activity. However, clinical trials are lacking.
- Dosing: Commercial manufacturers offer sacred lotus in various dosage forms, including powder, tincture, dried petals, seeds, and leaves, and combination products in capsule form. Lotus root is also available as a health beverage and food. Cosmetic formulations are also available.
- Avoid use if hypersensitivity exists to any constituents of sacred lotus.
- Pregnancy/Lactation:Information regarding safety and efficacy in pregnancy and lactation is lacking.
- Due to potential drug interactions, sacred lotus should be used cautiously by patients being treated for diabetes, high cholesterol, psychiatric or cardiac conditions, or erectile dysfunction.
Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn. Family: Nymphaeaceae. Indian lotus , Chinese water lily , sacred lotus , kamala , padma