Polyquaternium 10 is a white granular powder with a characteristic amine odor. In cosmetics and personal care products, it is used mainly in the formulation of hair care products, lotions and makeup.
- Used ingredient in hair care products
- Sometimes used in skincare products
- Anti-static and moisturizing properties.
- It is also considered a film former, supplying a sheen and coating to hair strands by easily being absorbed by proteins, according to Phibro Chem, an animal health organization, and CosmeticsInfo.org. It is sometimes seen in skin care products as well.
- The Cosmetics Database finds Polyquaternium 10 to be a low hazard, 99% safe ingredient, and it is approved for use in limited concentrations by the CIR. According to RealSelf.com, it has a low order of toxicity, and studies showed that it “adhered to keratin tissue and was poorly absorbed” when applied to skin. Concentrations up to 5% were only mildly irritating to the skin and eyes, and under 2% concentrations caused no reaction.
Source: TruthinAging, https://www.truthinaging.com/ingredients/polyquaternium-10